Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Sunday: Glory



 

We often think of Easter as a time when Glory reigns. The earth is awakening in spring, the Passover time of the Old Testament. Children's clothing colors in the South at least head to pastel.

Christ has of course risen in our liturgical life and hopefully in our hearts and minds. "Alleluia Christ is Risen!" "He is risen indeed, Alleluia!" Thus we greet one another in Church.
 
Of course Easter is at its heart about God's economy. At the base of that economy is the notion that we owe God but one thing: to worship and praise God who has created all things to reflect the divine glory and then to celebrate this glory by living kindly toward one another and in accordance to God's purposes. This later part being the beautiful challenge of every life. Not all believe this but it is the heart of the Judeo-Christian revelation as we find it in scripture.
 
When I got to the Gospel in Morning Prayer, I was surprised that it was not a resurrection gospel but the first Gospel of John. Why would I be surprised after so many years of Daily Office? Why the Incarnation on Easter? Then it struck.
"and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father's only son, full of grace and truth. From his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. The law indeed was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God. It is God the only Son, who is close to the Father's heart, who has made him known. John 1:14, 17-18.
 
And this is what I realized, always knew but had not pulled together with Easter. This Divine glory showed up in the incarnation, the desire to unite fully with our flesh, but the full revelation is only before us when the Christ, when Jesus, is willing to die to draw us from sin. And we can only get past the notion of a good man dying sadly when we are surprised by a new form of Divine/ human life, full existence and that is Resurrection.
 
Like most of us, I love Jesus. I love how he is with people, how he heals and listens and notices small unimportant folk. I love the language of love and sacrifice for those you love. I am challenged by the work of forgiveness and I know my wholeness is bound up in forgiving and being forgiven.
 
But glory...glory is being your fullness. Glory is stepping past your narrowness into the wonder of you or the wonder of God. Someone has said, "The Glory of God is a person fully alive." Assuming this is true, then that glory is Jesus resurrected and shot through with hope and inviting us each to join in this hopeful way of life. I want that every day. I need it many days. 
 
So maybe John 1 is a resurrection Gospel. "And we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father's only son, full of grace and truth."
 
A blessed Easter. Now off to worship the One who is both greater than me, and makes me, me and you, you.

No comments:

Post a Comment