Sunday, March 24, 2013

Palm Sunday


Of late I have been visited by memory. Actually it has been with me for a long time, but of late I have quietly paid attention. Perhaps this memory is at play because I have observed in the young the deep desire to find a love worthy of a lifetime. Many of us desire this comfort and challenge. About a year ago I had the privilege of watching a mature couple come to be. I will long remember the intended bride saying to me something like, "Who knew after so many years this love would come to me?" It was a treasured surprise and one tended.

But the memory which has come to me is the reality that I have had four significant intimate loves in my life. I am not sure how to categorize them except to say in each case I was willing to pledge myself to each of them. Two actually came to "marriage," a willing life commitment on both our parts. One of those ended this description of who we are to each other. Two did not come to this commitment. Yet all remain a part of me. I suppose this journey in love is not so different from others. What I wonder about is the fact that I still carry all four within me. I hold them all differently, but from time to time each reappears to be valued, touched, wondered about. Very often I feel passive when they come to visit with the exception of my now marriage. Sometimes I wonder about what might have been. Yet no longer am I nostalgic, as if any one would be better than the other. They just are each a part of me and each taught me lessons worthy of a life time. Each has asked me to forgive something. Each I am sure has forgiven me something. I do not think I am unusual in this reflection except perhaps in my willingness to both forgive and accept distant forgiveness, to assume it to be.

What does any of this have to do with Palm Sunday? Palm Sunday is a conflated day. There is the triumphant entry into Jerusalem, this celebration of something wondrous about to be fulfilled, the possible Messiah of prophetic hope appearing on the spiritual landscape of a hopeful people, Israel. We are adopted into this hope. And then the shift to the reading of the passion narrative of this same person's betrayal, arrest, trial, sentencing, and crucifixion. There is some note of burial affirming death. Without this piece Easter and Resurrection lose meaning. If this is not enough conflation, the Morning Prayer lesson is that of the purging and cleansing of the Temple, an event that occurs between to other lessons.

And here is what occurs to me this year. There is a movement from active to passive in these lessons. In some sense Jesus sets himself up for the entry. He indicates where the Donkey is to be found and off they go. In the Temple he does a cleansing that is more than an angry outburst. It is a prophetic action asking all to recall the purity of intent worship, a house of focused prayer for all people.

Then it is a yielding. Jesus is "handed over" in the garden by Judas, by God. His speech is more measured, less instructive, sparing. He justifies little. He is yielding. Henri Nouwen suggests that this is the heart of the Passion. Jesus goes from prime actor to recipient of others' actions. In here is a choice to follow as a disciple or turn away in the crowd of life. God also is active. When Jesus gets to "it is finished" more than a human drama has taken place. Jesus has allowed much to be done to him after his long years of doing and teaching. Men have done things to Jesus and under it God has done things to Jesus. Some drama of eternal forgiveness has been playing its hand.

And we are for now not active. We are the passive participants of forgiveness like some deeply loving relationship filled with hope, one that might not have been so successful from our view of control and hope.

To me it is like aging and knowing what might have been if only I was more attuned, or perhaps another was more attuned. I am asked now to forgive the things I missed or did. I am asked to accept forgiveness from another, from the heart of the Universe, from God. I am asked to assume it to be. I am passive except in my willingness to yield and to treasure the gift.  From here I now live.  We all do.

No comments:

Post a Comment