Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday in the Fifth week of Lent: Sight



We spend too little time entering into other people’s stories and we then miss the message of God.  It would take me years to experience how rich is this creation with varieties of yearning for life, decades of allowing the coverings of my eyes to fall away.  Urban life was my best tutor, but urban life lived in Christ.

The icon that comes to mind this day is Raul, sitting in the back pew of the church, larger than his years, gone before I got to know him, Sunday by Sunday. Until the Sunday we spoke and the next, slowly we know each other.  Not 23 but 16, I am surprised. He is sent looking for God who was larger than in the Church of his “youth.”

Even this was the Church he found on his own seeking to meet the God he knew to be and found under sacrament and senses and care.

He would teach me much, what it is to be young again and look older, what it is to be vulnerable, to appear to belong and be without legal papers. I would learn again the fierce love of a mother who risked much to bring self and two children to America to save their lives and begin again.  Only Lady Liberty’s torch was not so bright.  To begin again is no longer our national welcome. I learned what it is to live in domestic shadows hoping for the in break of light.  I would be useful to God in connecting some resources, and then slowly life took the fuller shape of green card to citizenship.

But none of this matched the wonder of watching faith be and grow and become.  Not just in Raul but in me, there was this tender green shoot of faith.

And so when I read of Jesus and the man blind from birth and the ridiculous but taught question; “Who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”  I am relieved at Jesus retort, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned; he was born blind so that God's works might be revealed in him. We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming when no one can work.  As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

 And then with clay and spittle, the common  things of life and touch which reaches to the depth of God, Jesus ‘anoints’ the blind man’s eyes and he sees once he washes in the pool of Silo’am. Does he stumble in darkness as he goes to the pool or does someone take his hand and lead him?  Has he navigated so long by blindness that this he can do alone?  We are not told but he returns seeing.

Jesus disappears for a while it seems.  People who know the man puzzle at the grace of miracle and its Sabbath timing and its outside-the-law-ness. Can anything outside the law be of God who orders all things correctly?  We know the answer.  Too often the law has the human twist of no concern, or partial concern where the right order overshadows the right care.

But when all is spoken there remains the question of Jesus who has slipped away.

Others said, "How can a man who is a sinner perform such signs?" And they were divided.  So they said again to the blind man, "What do you say about him? It was your eyes he opened." He said, "He is a prophet."

I do not know why God put Raul in my life or my life in Raul’s way.  I only know that on a Christian Sabbath, there he was and on the days and months to follow, we would both be granted sight.  He alone can speak for what he was granted to see.  I was granted the gift of youthful faith and hope and journey, a chance to be of some use to him and God.  I was granted an invitation into another’s life and journey and search for what makes whole.   But most of all, I saw the Christ pass between us and anoint my eyes as the taken for granted nature of citizenship was washed away from my eyes and care was given as sight once again.

Was either of us born blind? If so, whose fault?

Perhaps we are all just born “so God’s works might be revealed.”  Is this not sight. Is it not just kindness assumed and given as we yield to the divine kindness of Christ and mud and hope.

Maybe this poem says best what happens in God's time when we are willing just to yeild to the Christ who comes from every place and is found in story, sacrament and sign.



Christian’s Poem by Jorge De Lima

                        From Divine Imagination pg. 167

Because the blood of Christ
spurted upon my eyes
I see all things
and so profoundly that none may know.
Centuries past and yet to come
dismay me not, for I am born and shall be born again,
for I am one with all creatures,
with all beings, and with all things;
all of them I dissolve and take in again with my senses
and embrace with a mind
transfigured in Christ.
My reach is throughout space.
I am everywhere: I am in God and in matter;
I am older than time and yet was born yesterday,
I drip with primeval slime,
and at the same time I blow the last trumpet.
I understand all tongues, all acts, all signs,
I contain within me the blood of races utterly opposed.
I can dry, with a mere nod,
the weeping of all distant brothers.
I can spread over all heads one all-embracing starry sky.
I invite all beggars to dine with me,
and I walk on the waters like the prophets of the Bible.
For me there is no darkness.
I imbue the blind with light,
I can mutilate myself and grow my limbs anew like the starfish,
because I believe in the resurrection of the flesh and because I believe in Christ,
and in the life eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment