Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Fourth Sunday in Lent: Over washed by worry


We lost an hour of sleep so I am up less early and am distracted by time.  I looked out the window and confirmed what I saw last evening.  The new beach is entirely over washed by high tide.  I go and take a video to show someone with authority for we have now lost more than we gained.  I am distracted even as I seek to say the morning office. My brain will not let me forget the distractions this morning.

Yet as I read Mark, I am assured that we all distract.  Mark is not like John.  The author of Mark moves swiftly through his text and there are few substantial discourses with those in authority.  In chapter 7 Jesus has taught on authority, healed the daughter of the Syrophoenician woman, healed the deaf man, and in chapter 8, feed the four thousand.  The Pharisees have asked for a sign of Jesus’ authority.  “Hello!” as some say today…did you just miss the last three events? 

Now crossing the lake, the disciples realize there is but one loaf of bread. Worry sets in.  Jesus is still mindful of the last conversation with the religious authorities.

“And he cautioned them, saying, "Watch out, beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and the yeast of Herod."

Here he warns them that not all in authority or who appear to seek the revelation of God’s will and desire can guide.  We are all a bag of mixed motivations.  After all, why ask a sign of Jesus when you have three just before you? Why not just yield to trust that God is acting here?

They said to one another, "It is because we have no bread."  

Excuse me; did you just miss the feeding of the 4000? There was bread left over. 

That seems to be Jesus retort.

And becoming aware of it, Jesus said to them, "Why are you talking about having no bread? Do you still not perceive or understand? Are your hearts hardened? Do you have eyes, and fail to see? Do you have ears, and fail to hear? And do you not remember? …Then he said to them, "Do you not yet understand?"

And the answer is: it is very hard to stay with the deeper reflections when your stomach or fear or thirst has your attention.  Perhaps this is the leaven of the Pharisees.  It is caught between wanting to manage our responsibilities (here religious purity) and hoping we have the right controls to effect change and/or stability. Sometimes we miss the goodness that is present because we worry when it does little good or we are lost in hoping for too much or the wrong thing.  

Here the disciples are with Jesus who can produce bread for 4000 and they worry over one loaf.  Can they/we not see that in the healings and the feedings and the wisdom God has been present, is present in a deeper way than they/we have ever known?

I am still worried about the beach out my window.  Yet all I can do is quietly but clearly tell the town engineers my observations and concerns.  It is theirs to seek and answer to.  In truth I suppose there are other deeper concerns in my life than these sands.  Perhaps the point is I do best to keep conversant with what I truly can manage and seek God’s guidance and help there. After all isn’t that part of why I pray, to calm and center and stay focused on the kindly use of this life and those God has allowed me the grace to care for daily.  The leaven I need is calm, clarity, compassion and a bit of wisdom.

What might it be for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment