Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tuesday in the fourth week of Lent: Sabbath on Tuesday…hmm!



Owning a house at the beach comes at some cost.   While it gives pleasure to you or others, the elements are harsh and one will either spend money or self to keep the house in shape.  Today my hands still ache from 5 hours spent yesterday pressure washing the decks.  I am only a quarter done!  But Mother Nature has given us rain and rest.  I am glad to yield.

Jeremiah is a prophet with a fairly heavy agenda, but that seems always the role of the prophetic.  He warns the people of Judah what will befall them if they do not sharpen their alertness. Some things are pretty self evident to this author and one of them is that people have a hard time following the commandments.  The momentary gain attained, often financial or pleasure, in breaking these commandments comes at a cost to the depth of life and our posture before God.

But if you do not listen to me, to keep the sabbath day holy, and to carry in no burden through the gates of Jerusalem on the sabbath day, then I will kindle a fire in its gates; it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem and shall not be quenched. (7:27)

I grew up under Blue Laws where all businesses were closed on Sunday, the Christian Sabbath it was called. One always had to remember to buy milk on Saturday or gas if a trip was planned.  The Blue Laws slowly went away as one thing and then another was judged a necessity. The only place I know that maintains them is the town of Paramus, NJ, a town loaded with malls where New Yorkers often shop.   The Blue Laws are not maintained for religious reasons but sanity, the local desire to rest or freely get about without heavy traffic once a week. Yet there is tension from time to time to get rid of these barriers to commerce.

Truth is we have a need to rest and it can be more easily achieved when a culture cooperates with one another to allow it.  We need to restore even as my hands do today.  I need to let them be. Because we are a religiously plural society we have a hard time either agreeing to a day or to the purpose of this stopping.  Our faith teaches us, we stop that God’s values and ways may penetrate us, thus worship, resting in God and being in restorative company. I would add we do well to let the “other” rest as well for each is an image bearer of God who needs time to restore this image.

John’s gospel has an interesting line today.  Having fed the 4000, Jesus has crossed over the lake.  The crowds have followed looking, perhaps for another meal.  But I suspect for more because they rowed across the sea which seems to indicate a deeper hunger.  Yet Jesus says:

"Very truly, I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves.  Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. (John 6:26-27)

I feel slightly warned here.  Yes it is good my hands should rest and that I take this morning time to be quiet and restore.  But it is important to realize that the reason to rest is to be open to the guidance of God which comes from beyond me.  I do well to lay down my agenda, not just to lay it down, but to create an open space to invite the Holy Other in.

Once I post this, I think I shall just be more quiet and taste some of the eternal life food.   Perhaps then when I take up a task later, I will do so from a centered, caring and cared for place.

No comments:

Post a Comment