Monday, March 4, 2013

Monday after the Third Sunday of Lent: Sabbath


From Psalm 80:14, 18 (or 3 or 7)

Turn now, O God of host, look down from heaven;
    Behold and tend this vine;
            preserve what your right hand has planted.  
Restore us, O God of hosts;
      Show the light of your countenance, and we shall be saved.   


It is Monday, long my Sabbath day in a way that Sunday could never be.  As a priest, while I love Sunday, it began when employed early with getting ready.  Up two hours before church, I had to ready my person, my spirit, and go over my sermon again and seek the last change of it and other details.  I was always nourished on Sunday but never rested.

Monday I had no guilt at a slow start.  Oh I might be up early, even as I am these days, but there was no pressure to roll out my life.  My prayer time was more patient, even luxurious.  Other people's struggles and needs were moved back in my mind, though offered in prayer.  The tasks of the day did not press too hard.  I was inwardly quiet.  Eventually I would either garden or create something in the kitchen and/or tend intimacy. This smacked of work but all was held more lightly than on other days.  This was not an orthodox Sabbath, just my Sabbath. By its end I was rested and more whole.

Restore us, O God of hosts;
      Show the light of your countenance, and we shall be saved.   

Psalm 80 is a psalm of memory.  The author remembers how Israel was favored by God and takes sharp note of how rough life is, how once God reached out to free this little nation in Egypt, how they were shown a land and felt guided in taking possession of it.  Here is a memory of how the nation prospered growing from riverbank to sea. 
 
Early Americans created a history of seeing self as this new Israel. Be wary.

Here also is a memory of forgetfulness.  The nation eventually was breached, ravaged, lost, taken away, captive. I know this feeling of forgetting what is core to me and God.  I know what it is to wake up and feel lost a bit or much. It is from this place we can journey home again. Do you know this place?  What draws you unaware from God and good?  

Yet even in this broken place, memory and hope find root.  

Turn now, O God of host, look down from heaven; behold and tend this vine;
            preserve what your right hand has planted.  

This is more than a Sabbath hope, it is a Sabbath awareness.  Here is the awareness that there are times when we need to realign our life with God and God’s energy.  Here is where one finds a gift of being tended, beheld, preserved to a greater purpose.  This is no quick fix, but a layered fix.  Memory of whose we are begins our journey.  Memory of how we might live now aids growth.  Choosing alertness even when we might not like it, is essential to our accepting the tending of God. We are being now mended. So the psalmist returns:

Restore us, O God of hosts;
      Show the light of your countenance, and we shall be saved.    

Israel was restored though it is not clear she ever regained all she lost both materially and spiritually.  However, I am aware we tend to wax nostalgic when we look back over life.  Perhaps there truly was as complete a restoration to how life was lived in former days.  We do know forgetfulness returned, tensions of inner growth and rejected growth remained real.  They do as well today in the vineyard where we live and in each one of us.

As I grow older I notice things I long missed about myself. My gentleness has worn places just as my brokenness has healed places.  I have some old patterns of rebellion I still struggle to tend and turn God-ward. So here I am at my Monday Sabbath and I pray this psalm.  But I remember it is a community psalm so you can join me.

Turn now, O God of host, look down from heaven;
       Behold and tend this vine;
            preserve what your right hand has planted.  
Restore us, O God of hosts;
      Show the light of your countenance, and we shall be saved

No comments:

Post a Comment