Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thursday in the Fifth Week of Lent: Signs

Lessons: Psalm 131-133; Jeremiah 26:1-16; Romans 11:1-12; John 10:19-42

Today I find myself thinking about signs and how sometimes we just want one  You are driving down the highway having switched from one roadway to another and suddenly you think; “The speed limit was just 70 miles per hour.  Is it the same here?” You wait and wait for the sign knowing a ticket might be close at hand.  Perhaps that says too much about my driving.  Or you are facing a decision in life, small or large and you want assurance you are on the right course.  A sign of affirmation or a u-turn sign would serve you well, or so you think.  The more I am in unfamiliar turf, the stronger I sense this.  Forever I feel this way about the stock market and my little investments.  I hate researching this area but I want affirmation I am investing wisely.

Those are to me the small places of life.  There are bigger ones that are connected to the deep loyalties of our lives.  Looking for meaningful work is one.  Is this a right fit?  I have watched a friend settle into a long term position and throughout the first several years all the signs seemed to indicate this might have been a wrong fit.  Should he stay or move on? What does that seem to say about suitability to his work, his profession, and all that lead him to the decision in the first place?  Was he misguided when he said yes to this position?  How can this place become a better fit?  Does he need to shift something in his perspective and expectations?  All this is tough questioning for a good person.  The good news is it has settled out into a fit, but not without real effort and shift. 

Sometimes signs are not crisp like a speed limit.  Most of us negotiate with how we will interpret a speed limit.  Must I obey or how many miles over it can I safely drive?  We know that is open to interpretation.

I love the Gospel of John because it is filled with sign and symbol.  The first three Gospels are more linear and largely event connected.  John adds a layer that is more a meditation on meaning.  Jesus talks longer and in the symbols of sacred seasons, light, dark, day, night, evil and good.  The law is always mediated by grace, God’s care. There is also the desire for a firm sign that Jesus is clearly the Christ, the Messiah. There is also utter resistance to this notion of Jesus as Christ by those in authority, except for a very few. 

In the background of today’s lesson are two stories, the healing of the man born blind and the teaching on Jesus as the Good Shepherd. Both violate the desire for a clear linear picture.  Mud and spittle on the Sabbath does not seem right medicine.  Jesus assuming the title of Good Shepherd who can be heard and followed into deep safety seems too close an identity with God. 

So again the authorities ask;
"How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly."

Jesus answered, "I have told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name testify to me; but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep.”

Jesus goes on to talk of how closely his works are outcroppings of divine care seen by any who follow him.  Yet those questioning him are clearly more tagged by the violation of their understanding of Sabbath keeping and by Jesus' understanding of his alignment with divine will.  These are wrong signs for them.

Jesus reduces his place simply to this: “If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me. But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father."

And herein lies the pinch. We moderns are not unlike these ancients.  We like things clear and proven.  We do not want to hang our decisions on “might be’s” but on clarity. Yet all we get is this compassionate outcropping of God we call Jesus as a sign for how to live.

Will we shape our moral, economic, political selves on the charity we find in Jesus on the off chance he is the Son of God, the Good Shepherd, the wisdom that runs deeper than life?  Will we settle that the clearest sign we get is a call to live by kindness, be measured by humility, seek in every place how to love each other better?  Will we enjoy spending ourselves in concern for each other over against putting self as the highest priority?  Will we run counter to the self promotion the world asks of us many times?

When we look at our path and see we have somehow failed at following what we then discern as best, will we turn and begin again as best we can following a kinder and more charitable way, as a sign we accept correction and forgiveness?

Sometimes this is all the sign we get.

No comments:

Post a Comment