Saturday, March 23, 2013

Saturday in the Fifth Week of Lent: Unbinding

 

What is the shortest verse of the Bible? That was the earliest trick question about scripture I remember. The answer: "Jesus wept. John 11:35." It seemed such an odd verse to memorize but also so human, so like us, "Jesus wept."

As a child you knew this energy, that of "Jesus wept." You did this after a fight with your brothers, after a scolding which seemed harsh, when you were angry that no one heard your answers to authority, after a dog bit and flesh is torn. So when you had to memorize this brief verse, it was as if you were memorizing that Jesus was like you, human. So powerful was he and yet so deeply moved by this death he might have prevented. I do not think though that this seemed a death he could have prevented when I was a child. It was more like "Jesus wept." and then everybody was saying, "Its all your fault." Yea, I knew that one too.

So the Jews said, "See how he loved him!" But some of them said, "Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?" Then Jesus, again greatly disturbed, came to the tomb. John 11:36-37

It is one thing to feel, to hurt. It is another to be blamed for everybody's hurt. Kids know this one too. You did not mean for it all to go wrong, it just did. Now you get to carry everybody's stuff, their anger and blame and feel the pointing of the finger.

But Jesus is no kid. When they all get to the tomb with all their blaming, Jesus asked for the stone to be rolled back, opened. Sounds like Easter. Then house cleaning Martha says, "There will be such an odor after four day's rot."

Jesus said to her, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"

Ok, so Jesus is no kid here. If I opened it, it would stink and smell of festering whatever.

Not here. He can turn rot into glory, that is a good trick. Not me.

So he says a little prayer like, "Thank you God for hearing me, now use me to your glory and purpose." "Lazarus, Come out!" "Unbind him and let him go!"

I like that picture: the mummified Lazarus, alive, needing help to be unbound. The people needing to take an active role to let him be himself again. Jesus did his part, now you do yours. I wonder what it was like for him, sitting in the grave and someone else must set you free, take off the bands that hold you tight.  Will they?

And it makes me remember there are buried things in me. Some are good things, places where I have been touched, grown, treasured and I treasure them back. They make me smile with comfort or pause with reminiscence.

Then there are other things, hurts, grievances, resentments. old memories I may have over treasured in a festering way. They stink I guess. I've watched myself take them out and freshen the scar in a moment of memory. This is not such a good thing. Maybe this is a "Jesus wept" moment. At least I think that is what they told me.

Lent is drawing to a close. Holy Week begins tomorrow. Maybe I will do well not just to think that Jesus would weep over the resentments I have buried but would like to allow me to unbury them. But not just so I can pick at them, but forgive them more. As if Jesus is saying, "Come out." "Unbind him and let him go!" It would be good to be free of more ancient stuff I have stored away.

Maybe the shortest verse in the Bible is not so short because it only makes sense when it is connected to a whole story of Jesus loving his friend Lazarus (or Carr or you). And what he really wants to say is, "Come out." "Unbind him and let him go!"

No comments:

Post a Comment