Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wednesday of Easter Week: Responding

Lessons: Psalms 97, 99; Micah 7:7-15; Acts 3:1-10; John 15:1-11

Eucharist: Luke 24:13-35 

In the reading from Acts, Peter and John are post-Resurrection and have finished a time of prayer. As they pass by the Beautiful Gate, a man born lame asked for help expecting money. The two respond through Peter, "who said, "Look at us." And he fixed his attention on them, expecting to receive something from them. But Peter said, "I have no silver or gold, but what I have I give you; in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, Ý stand up and walk." And he took him by the right hand and raised him up; and immediately his feet and ankles were made strong. Jumping up, he stood and began to walk, and he entered the temple with them, walking and leaping and praising God. Acts 3:5-8.

Sometimes we do not have what another asks for. We have only what we have and it may be as simple as an encouragement. As people of the Resurrection, we offer what we have as simply and honestly as we can. Why? Because this is compassion and an outcropping of Divine love.

Too often I fear we think more is asked than we can give and we freeze. A neighbor once asked me to intervene with her grandson. I was clear I had no invitation from him to do so and the situation was such in my eyes that to step in was counterproductive. So I stayed and listened to the issues and gave some minor reflections. A day later I returned with a listening ear and a casserole. This was not a miracle of healing but a sign of care. I think it was enough.


So here is what I suspect to be the gospel truth. Offer what you can. Be reasonable in your understanding of the gifts at hand, perhaps feel some stretch. Offer that. It will be enough as the One who abides in you reaches through you, you will show the hand of God in the best way it may come this day.


Now I am off to plant a bush for my Mother whose hands are too arthritic and stance too weak to do it for herself. We could call that Easter, or just care from one 'abiding branch' to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment