Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wednesday in the Second Week of Easter

Icon of the Trinity, Abraham and Sarah
 
The function of prayer is unity with God. Thus it is fitting for the Gospelor of John to sum Jesus life in the what has been called the High Priestly Prayer. It concludes in today's Morning Prayer lesson.

”I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. John 17:20-23.

The Johannine community was by now aware that faith was not simply for those who had witnessed the Resurrection. Faith was not even simply for those who had witnessed the effect of resurrection faith on the first generation who had received faith and vision from Jesus' original followers. Faith is now passed from generation to generation as it had been in Israel and other formed religions. At its heart is the desire for unity with God as known through Jesus. There is a particularity here. One comes to know God by the way Jesus reveals God, follows the Spirit of God, acts on behalf of God's values in human community. This glory that is being passed along in the creative goodness at the heart of God's Being.

For those who seek a universality in the world's religions, it can only be found where each faith taps into this creative goodness in God as a core unifying principle. Where any faith strays from this, the universality ends. But my concerns are much more for how we live the value of the Johannine community, the value of unity with God and each other. Most simply put, we practice the values of God as we see them most clearly in Jesus and secondarily in his early followers, never loosing sight of charity and a generous heart.

Years ago I was approached by a parishioner who asked if I could use a black briefcase. In truth I had just been given one for Christmas. When I told him this, he explained he too had been given this rather luxurious briefcase by a work colleague whose principles he did not like. Yet he did not wish to insult the man. He just couldn't use this gift as it felt like an affirmation. I did relieve him of the burden by taking the case either to pass on or use later. I admired his creativity in seeing no need to insult and no need to symbolically affirm by using the case. I guess it felt contaminating. Once my case wore out, this was one of the nicest cases I have ever had and one I would never have given myself.   I did not love the case, I liked the case.  I wonder if I redeemed the case or just the moment?

The Author of John may be the same as the author of the First Epistle of John also among today's readings. He writes:

"I am writing to you, ...because your sins are forgiven on account of his name. ...because you know him who is from the beginning. I am writing to you, ...because you know the Father...because you know him who is from the beginning ...because you are strong and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one. Do not love the world or the things in the world. The love of the Father is not in those who love the world; for all that is in the world-the desire of the flesh, the desire of the eyes, the pride in riches-comes not from the Father but from the world. And the world and its desire are passing away, but those who do the will of God live forever.

He writes that all about us is passing away. The outward sign of that for us might be global warming, our dependency of depleting fossil fuels, the fascination some have for rude and demeaning reality TV. I am not sure, but all these feel that way to me. 
 
There is a difference in loving the world and being a proper steward or caregiver for God's creation, being at unity. Violence, rudeness, unkind and uncharitable behavior all work at disunity and cave into the values counter to God and goodness. For the Johannine community and for us, this is what is passing away, is to pass out of our lives. It passes little by little.

The deepest invitation of Jesus and the faith of Israel he built on, are actions of kindness. Heal what you can. Forgive and receive forgiveness often. See to the needs of those in want, hunger, poverty. Practice hospitality with your life and home. Live by principles that reflect God's goodness and creative love.

Jesus concludes his prayer thus:

“Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.”

May it be so. Our actions tell much.  Our character will sense even more deeply this unity or disunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment