Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday after the Third Sunday of Easter: To pray or not to pray.


For some time now I have been interested in how important prayer is to many people. It is hard for me to generalize about the import of prayer but I suspect it is best indicated by frequency of prayer. Frequency plus what is prayed for by each religious group is another insight. Still generalizing is hard for me.

As I read Daniel this morning I wondered what it would be like to be told not to pray. What would it be like to be told to pray to an unworthy object?  Furthermore what would that be like given the Judeo-Christian commandment against idolatry?  Besides who would really know about your private inner voice of prayer?  How many times a day does one simply overhear one's inner self voicing a concern to God? 
 
Years ago I was asked by my Spiritual Director to notice the accidents of prayer in my day. I was surprised to note that as I went about my day I would almost instinctually pray. Something gave me delight, a prayer of gratitude. I am off to the hospital and intercession, not only for the one I was going to see but all sorts of folk, came to my prayer. Is this affected by the reality that I had a pattern of seated prayer daily? I suspect it was. Yet the point of the exercise was for me to see how prayer happens even when not intentional. So if I am going to generalize anything, it would be that the intention to pray ups the accidents of prayer. The intention to seek God's company increases the supposition of God's company.

When Daniel is told that all people are only to pray to the King alone for thirty days under penalty of death, we might think "not so hard."  But his life and its fullness has been deeply based on a pattern of daily prayer. His ability to see deeply into meanings has to do with this key true relationship. So when he is told not to pray for thirty days, except to the King, I suspect that is like being told not to breathe, or to breathe only foul air that you must seek out, for thirty days. What person of faith can do this, will do this? Daniel continues his normal life.

Although Daniel knew that the document had been signed, he continued to go to his house, which had windows in its upper room open toward Jerusalem, and to get down on his knees three times a day to pray to his God and praise him, just as he had done previously. The conspirators came and found Daniel praying and seeking mercy before his God.    Daniel 6:10-11.

There is such confidence in this choice, even as there is confidence in our choices daily (or more often) to pray. So easily one may fall into prayer.

In the Gospel Jesus is in a place where healing is expected. So expected is it that when a paralytic's friends cannot get through the crowded door, they open the roof to let the paralytic down to Jesus. Jesus admires the faith and determination and speaks the popular belief about illness. "Friend, your sins are forgiven you." He is challenged on this statement. The proclamation of forgiveness is not done by mere mortals. So Jesus continues,

"Why do you raise such questions in your hearts? Which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, 'Stand up and walk?' But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins," he said to the one who was paralyzed, "I say to you, stand up and take your bed and go to your home." Immediately he stood up before them, took what he had been lying on, and went to his home, glorifying God.     Luke 5:22-25

I suspect that this was an offshoot of how Jesus prayed with and for people. He took their popular belief and took it another step. He held expectations that God would act, spoke confident words of sins forgiven and wholeness was the result. Jesus in Luke's Gospel maintains this pattern even over against religious objection.

It is interesting to me that one survey on prayer and health shows a high correlation between prayer and healing or the expectation of healing. It is further interesting that in this dry statistical report the expectation of an intersection between prayer and wholeness increases with educational attainment. You might say, when the going gets rough, the faithful get to praying.

No wonder Daniel continued to pray as he always had.

No wonder we do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment