Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Third Sunday of Easter: Tended and loved


Three times Peter denied knowing Jesus as Jesus was under arrest, being examined, scourged and variously tried. He had no sense of what the outcome of all this would be but he must have known it was a danger to those associated with Jesus. Like many who cared, it was one thing to be near enough to discover the outcome. It was another to be too closely tied to that outcome.

After the resurrection, Peter takes a prime place in experiencing the risen Lord. Quick to jump ahead of the crowd,was he able to sustain his loyalty and his commitment to task? What sort of rock would he be in the founding days of what would become the Church, even though at that point the 'Church" was but a sect of Judaism?

So three times in John's Gospel he is asked, "Peter do you love me?" Each asking is briefer than the one before as if to intensify the meaning of the question. Finally, Peter's response is elongated. We feel his frustration with the thrice asked question and his full conversion to his own answer.

"Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you."

His defined task is to tend and feed Christ's lambs and sheep. He is now to do it knowing it will be costly. It will cost him his freedom.

Very truly, I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten your own belt and to go wherever you wished. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you where you do not wish to go." (He said this to indicate the kind of death by which he would glorify God.) John 21:18-19

The marked conversions of life have often been costly. So have the small ones. Many of us know the Hymn "Amazing Grace". Most of us don't think of ourselves as a "wretch" and for years I was put off by this hymn. Then I came to know its story. John Newton was a deeply profane sailor, sea captain, slaver. His childhood was secure enough and mean enough to ground him in the hurts of life. Yet his conversion begins as his sea life involves near death, exhaustion, and strange mercy. You can read some of the details on Wikipedia. Here is a good case for the model of Peter. Ongoing encounters with the word of Christ draw him deeper into life lived with intention to God's will.

For me the remarkable thing is how Newton becomes an early voice for the abolition of the slave trade. Having done the lucrative work of capturing Africans deemed "less than," he knows its great cruelty and his faith propels him to speak and act. He will befriend Wilberforce who becomes the sustaining voice of the Abolitionist Movement. Yet it seems it is the energy of Newton's denial of God and Christ over his early years that set him to the strong task of self examination and the real work of reform of society.

So I am reminded that what truly works to change me is when I look inward, see the areas of my holding onto my own lost ways and my letting go. That letting go is often the gift of reflection in God's grace. The Word penetrates my defenses. I see myself under God's love and care. I see some struggle brought to light. I linger in its meaning. I open to see more clearly and I try on a new outlook that seems more reflective of God. I am tended and fed. Usually it involves someone else's writing, speaking, witness gently or sharply given. There is an inner voice of change finally, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you."

The grace is that I do love Christ and accept being thus loved...fed...tended.

And you?

No comments:

Post a Comment