Monday, July 8, 2013

Seventh Monday after Pentecost, Proper 9: Vocation

Lessons: Psalm 1, 2, 3; 1 Samuel 15:1-3,7-23; Acts 8:19b-31; Luke 23:44-56a.

(I will be traveling this next month and will post as I am able.  I will try to stay faithful to those of you who have asked me to keep at this.  Blessings.)
 
Recently I was reading a sermon preached by a young woman who is trail blazing the ordination of women in the Church of Christ, a rather conservative branch of Christian Protestantism.  Reflecting on her call she began, “I see calling as less of a Burning Bush or a Damascus Road situation, and more like a matrix of personal skills and life situations that make a particular path a good fit.”  I felt I knew her meaning from within.  She describes the slow ‘fit’ rather well.  One grows up in a place, perhaps you assume faith rather naturally, within a family or by accompanying friends to a worship space.  One day you realize faith has a hold, some power in your life.  You make choices reflective of the core values of your faith.  Some are small.  When and whom you offer care to perhaps.  Some are large.  What will I study in college that will shape me?  If I do this or that will it be consistent with my faith?  Perhaps you step back and wonder, is my faith, is this notion that God has a claim on my choices real?  How do I know this?

In my case it came to a moment when the only answer I could settle on was I need to trust that God is, that Jesus is God’s reflection in my flesh.  If this is true, then this following is of great value.  If it is not, I will at least have lived a life worth the living.  That was the beginning of a deeper walk and unfolding.

Vocation is not mostly the call of those who seek to be ordained.  Vocation is the call on every life to live a life worth living in relationship to God whom we can experience in our flesh.  The place of this encounter is in Jesus Christ for Christians.  My bias is this is true for all, but I seek not to be too narrow.  The same depth I know in Christ I have seen in followers of a different way.

Today’s lessons are all about vocation.  What sort of king will Saul be?  Will he accept the inconvenience of what Samuel tells him is God’s will?  The people under his leadership and Samuel’s guidance have taken over a people they were to slaughter.  I can be very uncomfortable with this image of slaughter but there it is.  All they are and own is to be destroyed utterly. But the people want to keep the best bits for themselves.  They justify it with the notion they will go elsewhere and sacrifice it to God.  Saul agrees while holding the notion that because they have done most of the clean up, they have obeyed God.  Samuel tells Saul, “No!” God is not in need of your sacrifices but your obedience to perceived will.

"Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Surely, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed than the fat of rams. For rebellion is no less a sin than divination, and stubbornness is like iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected , he has also rejected you from being king." 1 Samuel 15:22-23

I may have difficulty with slaughter as God’s perceived will, but my difficulty is not the subject of this early revelation of God.

In Acts, Saul of Tarsus is finding his way as a new convert to Jesus.  Nothing is easy at this point.  The persecution he designed as responsive to his perception of God’s will, to purify Judaism of Christians, is turning out to be his new problem.  The energy of dislike of those who believe in the Resurrection is now resting on him.  And yet by steps he follows, is saved from capture and death.  As he is shipped out peace settles on the Jerusalem Church.  Is this because his conversion, the news of it undoes the energy of persecution, the angry need for purification within Judaism?  One can only wonder.

In the Gospel Jesus dies on the cross.  In his dying the gentile, the centurion, proclaims Jesus innocent. Joseph asks to bury the body.  He wraps it in care and give up his own tomb.  The women sight the burial and go home to Sabbath and begin the spice preparation to embalm him. Here is a variable cascade of vocation.  Each person from his realm of experience, from his or her matrix of personal skills and life situation find that particular path, set of actions, a good fit.  One event ripples out into the next.

What is extraordinary is how all are recorded; all are part of the final telling of the Gospel.  Look at your own life and you will see it. Your faith, your struggle or gift of belief does not stand isolated. Someone or many “someone’s” did their part.  One may have said look here.  Another may have loaned you their belief until you had your own. Another in some unseen place prepared a curriculum, an altar, a prayer, a welcome, a listening heart.  You happened on it.  By whose intention?   

No comments:

Post a Comment