Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Wednesday of the Fifth Week of Easter: Feast of St Philip and James


We are all looking for something of meaning in life. Sometimes we are deliberate in this search, sometimes we are fumbling about hoping meaning will find us not sure quite what we are desiring. Perhaps in truth we are each a mixture in our search for a life of true value.

The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, ‘Follow me.’ Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. John 1:43-44.

It is unclear if Philip was deliberately looking for the Messiah, but he was open to meaning.  What is clear is that the story is told as if Jesus was looking for people of worth and there was Philip. Are Andrew and Peter mentioned because they told Jesus of Philip? One wonders.

What is clear is that Philip immediately searches for Nathanael, the sceptic.

Philip found Nathanael and said to him, ‘We have found him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth.’ Nathanael said to him, ‘Can anything good come out of Nazareth?’ Philip said to him, ‘Come and see.’ John 1:45-46

Something of noted value is seen in Jesus by Philip and he shares this with a seeking friend. Nathanael is less sure until Jesus looks inward and sees his depth; "Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!"

I wonder how many of us know this care of a friend who brings us along to Jesus? I remember my early search for meaning; that sense that there was something I was missing. Being Southern that eventually sent me to church where I hoped "it" would happen. I did not know what "it" was but it had to do with God and meaning. And whatever "it" was did not happen soon. Then one day Hugh said, "Come with me to my Church." I did. It happened. For me it was silence filled with expectation. More than a hundred people gathered in silence before worship in a dimly lit space. Words came, "You are home."

Those are not everyone's words. They were just mine. For Nathanael they were, "Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!"

I wonder what they might be for you. I wonder what friend you have who is hoping for meaning and when you will notice and say, "I have found...come and see..."

No comments:

Post a Comment