Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Day of Pentecost: Gifts and yielding


Religion at its deepest is the desire to be occupied by that which is greater than our self.  It is a willingness to yield to our making and becoming.  It holds as a chief principle that we are made to some great end which we are to seek and know.

Pentecost celebrates a break through moment when all that was hoped for and more occurred on the level of religion.  For a moment there is this full experience of being occupied.  Among the prayerfully gathered followers of Christ comes this moment when they yield and are occupied at God's behest.  We find it alluded to in John's Gospel chapter 14 and described in Acts 2.  Paul writes of its many gifts in the Epistles.

I remember being young in the days of the "Charismatic Renewal."  It seems very naïve now, but I so wanted a demonstrative gift of the Spirit.  Speaking in tongues would be my preference.  When finally I shared my disappointment with one I trusted he quietly but clearly said, "Perhaps this is not God's preference for you. You will know it when it comes." 

Yielding is not about demanding. It is not about predetermining.  It is about openness and following.  It is beautifully described in John's Gospel today. 

They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them...Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me. I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate,* the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  John 14:21,23-27

We live in a world that so want to know before it happens what is to occupy our days and self.  Much secular success comes form the ability to forecast and act to determine the future.  There is much concern to determine the markets of life so we gain wealth.

Yet if one were to read Stephen Covey's once popular book, Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, one discovers a more open approach.  Once your principles are set, you begin to work at tasks that also are about being attuned to self with others.

Applied to Pentecost, we chose as a chief end to be attuned to God as God is revealed in Jesus Christ.  That attunement Jesus called here love, Agapan or agape in the Greek.  It is a love that will sacrifice the self to another end.  It emulates Christ's self sacrifice for us all as he achieves God's end.  That end was to reoccupy our hearts with high motivation, to aid one another in deeper living, in kind and compassionate life seeking the good. This is a deeper love than sexual attraction, friendship, or parental love. It is a love that spends the self for another's good because this is God's good. Its purpose is to align with God's being and aid another's finding of this alignment.  It will show you the fruit of peace. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  John 14:27

I was insulted years ago when I learned a bishop continually described me as, "One of the kindest people I have even met."  That seemed a weak description as I sought to move to serve another parish.  Surely he could have focused on my learning, my skills in conflict, my understanding of systems, my prayer and ability in liturgy.  Who wants to hire kindness?

Then one day I awakened.  Here was the gift of the Spirit I had longed to see.  It seems so mundane.  It is no more than yielding to what I know of Christ and it passes the core test. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  John 14:27

What gift of God do you manifest that meets this gentle test: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  John 14:27

If you cannot see it, ask a friend you know in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment