Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Eleventh Wednesday after Pentecost, Proper 13, Headlocks or the Kingdom of God

Lessons: Psalm 119:97-120; 2 Samuel 9:1-13; Acts 19:1-10; Mark 8:34-9:1

“He said to them, 'Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.'” Mark 9:1

I have always viewed this as factual, like there was to be this historical moment when the Kingdom arrived. But what if it was figurative?  What if the promise of this Kingdom of God was interior?  Now that has possibility.  What if what Jesus was onto was another switch in our power center like when he begins today?

“He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, 'If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it.’”  Mark 8:34-35

Let’s face it; we love power even when we are trying not to.  We learn it early.  Getting into a parent’s good graces can be power.  Getting your brother in a head lock when you are not allowed to punch him, well that is power too.  An allowance is economic power, even when we are told it is to teach us to make choices and be responsible. I know that one because I was so long without one and had to be creative in acquiring money, which largely came by rearranging my father’s penny pile and removing a few.  He only seemed to notice if I got greedy or if one of my brothers and I were up to this at the same time unaware of the other.  That would bring on another confrontation with power.

We mature into fuller ways of acquiring and using power or influence be it relational, physical, economic, intellectual and the list can go on.  I remember once admiring how educated the children of my African immigrant friends all became.  I was told that the key lesson they taught their children was that everything can be taken from you but not your mind. One might debate that point, but it does help focus the young. 

The issue however is not our love of power or our need of power but how we use it.  This is what Jesus is onto.  Use your power in a way that is not self obsessed but God oriented and sacrificial and you will find that rather than ending up last you will become and what you will become is like me.

The point is illustrated in the reading from 2 Samuel.  David has secured his kingdom.  He has desired to build a temple for God but that was one day granted and the next day denied, so he and his kingdom might meditate on the core truth that God travels with God’s people and is not domesticated in some house. Today he wonders if there is anyone left of Saul’s line.  It is important to remember that common wisdom and practice was to kill all who might have claim on the throne.  But David is asking the question from a different angle.

"Is there anyone remaining of the house of Saul to whom I may show the kindness of God?" 2 Samuel 9:3

He discovers hidden away is the son of Jonathan who was Saul’s son and David’s most faithful friend.  Long and short is he not only finds and befriends him and lets him live.  He restores him to property and thus great freedom and shows great care.  Perhaps this was a moment of David tithing his power to compassion.  Perhaps it was a way to reflect back to his kingdom the kindness of a settled life.  Perhaps it was a moment of being Godlike not for power's sake but more deeply.  Here he basically forgives the past, Saul’s linage as David forever intents to share table with Mephibosheth son of Jonathan. David has this Godlike or God reflective moment he embraces.  David will soon show a less redeemed side but in this moment he is at his best.

And that is how it is with most of us.  I no longer put my brother in a headlock either physically (he could easily best me today) or emotionally.  We delight in each other.  I no longer steal pennies or more.  I have learned the joy of sharing, living in my economy and wondering if something is asked of me how this promotes God’s work in the world.  While I enjoy my mother’s good graces, I now aid her from mine, but more I see that is how I am to be with all who come my way and have some success getting past myself.  When I fail, I hope to see it, name it and do better the next time round. 

That I believe is what Jesus asks of us when he says, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.”  When we fail, we hope to see it, name it and do better the next time round.  Forgo making the excuse and learn to live more deeply.  Make a regular effort to review our lives and we will grow toward Christ’s reign.

Who knows, perhaps before we taste death we will know the power of the Kingdom of God come close to fully within our living.

By the way Rod, sorry for all the headlocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment