Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wednesday after second Lent: Yes

After reading John 5:1-18,
       (but before saying good bye to a friend.)
In John is the healing pool of Beth-za'tha.

YES

“Do you want to be healed?”
I think the answer is forever: “Yes”
And when it is asked I wonder if I am awake.
Yet I fear I will not be so.
I will too much be in my wound.
Too much lost to malcontent.
And so I ever pray: “Keep me awake,
For Your and my sake.”

I think there is a moment when,
as we sit with those who mourn
or those who have lost their way
to good and hopeful things,
a call comes to us one and all,
“For God’s sake, awake!”
 
I am not sure it is by a pool,
a Beth-za'tha in our heart.
But surely it is by a dream
planted deep before our birth,
a dream  of hope and
longing for our best homing,
our awakening anew to things of eternal worth
But just now pressing homeward.
Where is that home?

 I have trip upon it in a smile,
in the gentle hand that took mine
for but awhile,
in the lingering of a friend.
A little child,
both I and he
who longed for a love,
A love that flourishes above.
“Awake, be stirred, be cured.”

And then there it is in Holy Word;
“Arise, take up, and walk.”
The pool has stirred
me awake
from within yet without.
There is a healing
in hand, and smile and child
willing to stay for awhile.
And all I can say is,
“Yes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment