Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Third Thursday After Pentecost: Listening

 

From Psalm 71: 19-22

Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the heavens;
    you have done great things;
    who is like you, O God?
You have showed me great troubles and adversities,
    but you will restore my life
    and bring me up again from the deep places of the earth.
You strengthen me more and more;
    you enfold and comfort me,
Therefore I will praise you

At times we all will be asked to stand by someone who has suffered an injustice.  Our initial take is often one of sadness for them. Suffering and the struggle that follows can seem so deeply unkind. We might drift into wondering how this could happen to anyone or this individual or occur in this society...depending on what we are asked to hear.  Our sadness may be a better guide than our curiosity if what we are to do is "stand by."

Sometimes we find ourselves in disbelief that what is described to us is fully real.  Physical or mental or emotional cruelties often fit this category.  If we have not seen the shadow of such in ourselves, cruelties seem out of any worthy character.  We may wonder, "Did you bring this on yourself...how?"  This may well not help us "stand by".  It distracts us from the task at hand.

Jesus approaches Jerusalem in today's Gospel reading.  He is greeted with expectation that something remarkable is about to happen, is indeed happening.  He rides in as one of fame, perhaps a prophet, perhaps a king. 

The crowds shout, "Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven, and glory in the highest heaven!" Luke 19:39

He knows to expect this.  He apparently set this up...or did God?  The expectations seem wildly out of proportion to me when I read this.  Nothing yet has set me up for this, except memory of what is told and is to come.  Yet we know what is to come is going to go down hill.  The unbelievable cruelty of humanity will set in.  Why?  I suppose because it rests in us all, in some dark chamber we seldom want to visit.  However some do seem to like this energy in themselves.  I have felt its energy.  I have visited there. I do not like it long.

I wonder if he recited Psalm 71 in his recent prayers or in the prayers to come.
It might give him comfort.  It does me.

You have showed me great troubles and adversities, *
    but you will restore my life
    and bring me up again from the deep places of the earth.

It is this faith that we will rise up from the deep places that I rely on.  I do not rely on the notion that troubles will not come and adversities will not visit.  I hope that when the time comes, after I have tasted what is hard, God will help me restore.

Sometimes, often, that will mean another will listen to my story, my journey.  Their patient listening may be part of my healing and wholeness and wisdom gained for the journey of my life.  I need their listening before their words, their well chosen words that come from deep listening and its care.

So when I must stand by, may I be content first to simply listen, witness, be with them.  So often God is in the listening with us.  May that compassion guide me to only well chosen words.

No comments:

Post a Comment