Friday, June 28, 2013

The Fifth Friday After Pentecost: Listen, Learn, Be Useful

The Fifth Friday After Pentecost

In the past I have been asked to be pastorally present to a person in a church trial.  It is not easy work.  One must work through the doubt inside one's self.  It is not easy to see the damage done to someone further down the authority line by another in a superior position.  It is not easy to see someone who may have given years to developing gifts and skills make a stupid decision and thus potentially cast away their life's work.  Depending on where one more naturally falls in bias, you will favor one possible interpretation of the "facts" over another.  Perhaps this is because we often underestimate the power dynamic. One may first look at all involved as adults who should know better.  Certainly I have. 

Just behind this rather superior take on the situation lies memory.  There are, at least  for me, the memories of where I have managed professional boundaries well.  There are times where I have felt them threatened, where I know only by prayer and grace I have been able to maintain integrity, not yield to some wrong decision of care. There are also moments I could feel the draw to what was not health and whole.

This dynamic is at the heart of today's gospel.  Jesus sees what Peter does not.  Jesus, sensing things are drawing to a close on his ministry and life, warns Simon Peter he too will be threatened, not by death but by betrayal.  He will not stand easily strong in the trial to come.

"Simon, Simon, listen! Satan has demanded to sift all of you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your own faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."  Luke 22: 31-32

It is interesting that Jesus calls him Simon.  This was his called name before Jesus saw in him the faith to follow Jesus as Messiah. You might say this was his name before his vocation to lead, to be a rock of faith.  Does Jesus see this faith will waiver? Does he understand that when the pressures grow great, one goes back to safety or instinctual, as in this case, denial of association?

Is the warning articulated for Simon part of the prayer? "I have prayed" becomes I am praying even now as I speak, letting you know the prayer is part of the flow of communication from me to the Father and back again.  I think so. 

The prayer might become Simon's prayer now, and then later when the self preservation hours have passed and the healing after betrayal is needed.  Peter will stand in stark need of prayer soon.  For now he is very confident.

"Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death!" Luke 22:33

This will fade away.

Jesus warns him and all they will soon need all their resources.  Before in their training they were sent out on a healing and preaching mission with minimal comforts.  They were sent out to be dependent on God and on the human generosity which comes when people glimpse the goodness of God in hope and wholeness;  when it sets in and we share gratefully with others.  That worked to keep the disciples in deep relationship not just to God but to those who were to receive God's word, healing and blessing.

Now is different.  Darkness of the human heart will assault this mission.  The safety of hope will vanish soon even while a deeper drama is playing out.  Jesus instructs them.

 "But now, the one who has a purse must take it, and likewise a bag. And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you, this scripture must be fulfilled in me, 'And he was counted among the lawless'; and indeed what is written about me is being fulfilled." They said, "Lord, look, here are two swords." He replied, "It is enough." Luke 22:36-38

They are to protect themselves now, provide for themselves.  A tougher time is ahead.  Did he actually mean for them to buy swords or is this another case of overstating that Jesus found so useful to his message?  Once they note there are two swords already present, it is enough.  Is this more like, "Be on your guard." 

They will not fully be so.  Things will soon falter.  Does it help to look back and remember that you were warned these things were coming?

It does later seem to help Peter. With the cock's crow we are told Peter noted it and his accomplished denial.  How long did it take him to remember ,"...when once you have turned back, strengthen your brothers." He does you know in fits and starts. "Feed my lambs, tend my sheep, feed my sheep." John 21:15-17.  He will do so solidly in Acts.

Perhaps here is the depth of this story.  We will all in someway fail to love Jesus fully and to love the Word of God and its wisdom.  We will all break a loyalty or vow spoken in utter hope. Will we then grow spiritually or emotionally or morally or mentally sleepy in the garden that is our life? We can stay sleepy.  We can defend our position with Peter's, "I will not...I am ready to go anywhere you say..."  We can mask our behaviors even from ourselves.  Many do. We can also awaken.

What is useful to Jesus, to God, is when we take time to note our weak moments or failed moments and turn to use them for others' well being.  That is the foundation of all 12-step work.  That is what makes a confessor wise or a therapist alert or spiritual director useful.  Most medical trials are based on this principle. Good parents employ this for children.  Deep friendships know this route to share costly lessons.

I suppose that was the value I offered the church trial process.  I know my weaknesses and failures. I can work through my bias. I know how to pray and seek aid to stay awake.  When I fail, I am willing to begin again.  The insights can be useful to others as they are employed in care.

This is all that Jesus asked of Simon Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment